HMS Queen Mary Survivors
Jump to navigation Jump to search
There were 20 survivors on HMS Queen Mary when it was sunk on 31st May 1916.
- HMS Petard picked up PO Ernest Francis, according to his report.
- One despatch stated that "Eighteen of her officers and men were subsequently picked up by "Laurel".
- A signal stated "It is understood that four Midshipmen and 13 men were picked up by Laurel".
- Midshipman Dearden and AB Sherwood were picked up by the Germans and became prisoners of war.
- Midshipman Durrant died of wounds on 6th June.
- It is unclear whether Stoker Edwards was picked up by "Laurel' or by a Geman U-Boat [see his story]. Records would indicate that there were only 2 POWs.
- Able Seaman Albert Henry Brend (invalided 5.3.24),
- Stoker 1st Class Albert Bower Clark (invalided 7.2.17 fracture Rt Tibia & Fibula),
- Able Seaman Ernest Cunnah (slightly wounded left RN 11.6.27 time expired),
- Midshipman Peregrine Robert Dearden (PoW),
- Midshipman Humphrey Mercer Lancelot Durrant (died of wounds 6/6/16),
- Stoker Royal Naval Reserve Albert Edwards (details unclear),
- Petty Officer Stanley Forster Ford (pensioned 1.12.22),
- Petty Officer Ernest Benjamin Frances (invalided Haslar 27/2/19),
- Acting Leading Stoker Herbert Ernest Hughes (Left RN 2.9.24),
- Ordinary Seaman John Hutchinson (deserted 6.10.19),
- Midshipman John Hugh Lhoyd-Owen ( ),
- Leading Stoker George William Manners (pensioned 21.11.26),
- Boy 1st Class Thomas Chales May (invalided 18.3.17 severely wounded),
- Able Seaman Frederick William Meads (invalided 27.1.22),
- Leading Stoker Albert Ralph (invalided 11.8.19),
- Able Seaman Alfred Thomas Sherwood (PoW),
- Stoker 1st Class Frank Smith (invalided Haslar 9.7.24)
- Midshipman Jocelyn Latham Storey (placed on retired list as Captain 8.1.49),
- Stoker Petty Officer Marshall William Taylor (pensioned 19.7.22),
- Midshipman Voltelin St. John Van Der Byl (invalided 15.1.19 disease of eyes)
|Name and link to page||Rank/Rate|
|Brend, Albert Henry||Able Seaman|
|Clark, Albert Bower||Stoker 1st Class|
|Cunnah, Ernest||Able Seaman|
|Dearden, Peregrine Robert||Midshipman|
|Durrant, Humphrey Mercer Lancelot||Midshipman|
|Edwards, Albert||Stoker Royal Naval Reserve|
|Francis, Ernest Benjamin||Petty Officer|
|Ford, Stanley Forster||Petty Officer|
|Hughes, Herbert Ernest||Acting Leading Stoker|
|Hutchinson, John||Ordinary Seaman|
|Lhoyd-Owen, John Hugh||Midshipman|
|Manners, George William||Leading Stoker|
|May, Thomas Charles||Boy 1st Class|
|Meads, Frederick William||Able Seaman|
|Ralph, Albert||Leading Stoker|
|Sherwood, Alfred Thomas||Able Seaman|
|Smith, Frank||Stoker 1st Class|
|Storey, Jocelyn Latham||Midshipman|
|Taylor, Marshall William||Stoker Petty Officer|
|Van Der Byl, Voltelin St John||Midshipman|